Several of my clients ask me regarding the big square box from the center area of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a set of self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan and it can either benefit property owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Apply it if only the temperature and humidity outside is more favorable than the conditions indoors. Should your air-con system has been operating in the daytime, and also the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity is still high), don’t turn the Tumblr. The vent will suck every one of the humid air into your air conditioned house
* The best time periods to utilize it would be, of course, morning hours and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it will not be a smart idea to bring each of the pollution to the house. Your window screens will stop a number of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and will make you sneeze more than ever.
1. Before you decide to turn the fan on, open as numerous doors and windows as possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of the whole house fan (at least on the highest speed) is so great, that without open windows / doors, it would draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for instance, in the chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and you also don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s will be a mess. When it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it may blow off the pilots.
2. When things are all ready, it is possible to start up the complete house fan and often in the next matter of moments you need to feel a good amount of exterior air flowing around the house. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the doors and windows – both need to be balanced to work properly as a way to really take advantage of the whole house fan operation. Air drawn through the whole house fan must be discharged from the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created in the attic area can cause air which was just pulled away from your house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps from the attic wh0le along with the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation will not be enough to support the this tumblr site operation; you may need far more to carry all of that extra number of air for the exterior. And the formula to calculate the square footage from the attic vents needed to discharge that air is very easy. You only need the proportions of your entire rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate all the rooms in your home you believe must be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is basically the section of the required attic vents (every one of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. When the house you’re moving into has got the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that it was properly sized up for its purpose (there could be a tag about the unit itself), which would be to replace your property air within just a couple minutes.
5. If you’re usually the one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes being an optimal time for the house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d should divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from the sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That can give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each minute).
6. An additional important thing: louvers in the here are certainly not air tight and also have no insulation put on their surface; they leak air involving the house and attic. I would highly recommend installing a complete house fan cover in attic area to stop air drafts throughout the cold season – don’t forget to take out it when you make use of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and several people never rely on them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet if you apply all of the above. You will find currently other kinds of house ventilation systems available: they can be more expensive (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more effective, and supply air flow for long periods of time.